Saunders for Service are offering FREE winter checks – just pop down to the garage and we will gladly check for you:
- Fog lights
- Oil levels
- Wiper blades
- Wiper fluid/antifreeze
- Battery and starter circuits.
Here is also some top tips from the Garage:
- Check your lights are working and clean. Dirt builds up on headlights, hindering your view of the road. Replace blown bulbs immediately, or other road users may not see you.
- Check your screenwash and make sure that you top it up regularly. Dirt and grime can build up on the windscreen in the winter. Use a mixture of 50% undiluted screenwash to prevent the liquid from freezing.
- Check your tyres. Good tyre tread is essential to grip onÂ icy roads. We recommend you have at least 3mm of tread on your tyres – the more tread, the shorter your stopping distances on cold, wet roads. If you plan on a lot of winter driving, consider fitting winter tyres for better grip and control in snow.
- Check your coolant level. Coolant, or antifreeze, protects the engine from cold temperatures by raising the freezing point of fluids inside it. If these fluids were to freeze, they would expand, and the engine block could crack.
- Check your battery. If it is more than five years old, it may lose its charging capability, and during the winter a fully charged battery is about 35% weaker.
Essential winter gear to keep in the car
Before you set off on a winter journey, whether a long drive or popping to the shops, it’s best to have a few essential items in your car.
- USB phone charger
- Ice scraper
- Warning triangle
- First Aid Kit
- Bottle of screen wash
- Jump leads
- Snow shovel
- Torch (and spare batteries for it)
- Hi-visibility jacket